Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Robert Henri



Robert Henri said some great things in his book "The Art Spirit". Some quotes. I find his words way more inspiring than his work. Some comments are dated, some universal and timeless, but most are thought provoking. Many of the artists of whose work I find inspiring coincidentally are also artists who spent more time creating than talking. A lot of them have passed on leaving most of their thinking and process a mystery. Maybe that's the way it should be. Work hard at making your art great and if you succeed, frustrate those who come after you, forcing them to figure it out for themselves. Like the mystery of Stone Henge or the Pyramids. A magician's tricks dying with him. I spent quite a bit of time in my life talking about ideas when I should have been working. I am way behind the eight ball if I ever thought I could even the score on that. If I could only choose one of the two, talking about art or trying to create it, the choice would be simple. And on that note....

No comments: